Thursday, May 25, 2006

Eight Hundred and Forty Turns Into Nine

My animosity towards the Big Ten has been well documented over the years. It has been the topic of many a discussion between me of a Big Twelve upbringing and my friends who are Big Ten loyalists. They find it incomprehensible and inexplicable that I have a legitimate beef against their conference, and I on the other hand believe I have all the reasons I need. Besides, the world of sports is filled with sometimes arbitrary and often petty allegiances and opposition. All the same, the driving force behind my rancor is the number of Ohio State and Michigan fans I went to school with. One can only take so much, and when your two jackass roommates in Colorado wake you on college game days with the Ohio State fight song, it gets personal.

But whereas before I could only root against Big Ten teams, now I have one to root for. Starting this fall, I will be a student at Northwestern University's Kellogg School, and will then have my very own David to cheer on against the Goliaths of the Big Ten; my friends will no longer be able to question the validity of my ill-will. My team may not have a fighting chance in hell, but at least now I'll be a legitimate spectator and fan.

Go Wildcats,

TH

7 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger RC said...

Glad to hear you'll be sticking around chicago. I haven't talked to DP yet but i'm sure he's weeping with joy.

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trev - Congrats buddy. Couldn't ask for things to work out better than they did for you. Glad to hear your sticking around chi-town. - Lazar

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Trev, that's an amazing accomplishment in itself. I'm continuously amazed at the many facets of Trevor Henry.

Marc

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Henry,

First Congratulations on your acceptance into an outstanding university which is, of course, part of top notch conference. It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the traditions of Big 10 Football and outstanding performance not only in the classroom, but on the field. I can only wonder about your lingering disgruntlement regarding Saturday mornings started with the Ohio State fight song. I imagine that your cohorts were only trying to give you access to the great Saturday morning traditions that date back as far as the Sumerians roaming Ur. According to the legendary Barry Alvarez “We have great traditions of sportsmanship” in our conference (Big Ten Commercial, 2005). That means rooting for your team, not against the our team. I hope walking amongst the deeply spiritual peoples of Southeast Asia you will have time to reflect on what it means to be a fan a major college football program and will act accordingly. I think Bodhisava himself once said: “you can change the name of your stadium, but it’ll always be Dyke to me”

-Brutus the Buckeye

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that case, you have no where to go but up from last year's 48-7 football score.

Ohio State also owns a 13-game winning streak over NU in basketball. That's kind of embarrassing -- it should be at least 20 games.

-Buckeye Fan, Wash DC

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trevor-

Congrats on NW...thats awesome my man. It will be nice seeing another familiar face up in Etown. Enjoying the blog. Who dey.

Freddy Prinze Jr.

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trev,

That’s great news. I knew you would see the light. Go BIG TEN.

-Ben

 

Post a Comment

<< Home